Agriculture and Renewable Energy Program
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE: To create an enabling environment for improved food security; household incomes & a carbon secure West Nile region
- Promote good agricultural practices and protection of environment through tree planting & use of alternative energy sources.
- Supply agricultural inputs to improve farm productivity & affordable nutrition.
- Train farmer groups; especially youth & women on post-harvest practices to reduce on wastage during off seasons.
- Advocate against land fragmentation and use mechanized agriculture to increase on production and household incomes.
- Improve access to credit to farmer groups through promotion and development of VSLAs.
- Establish agribusiness marketing agency to pool and market farm produce.
- Build capacity of farmer groups in management, entrepreneurship and group dynamics.
- Establish agro processing plants to add value to produce.
- Promote the use of energy efficiency technologies (improved charcoal & firewood stoves), solar etc.
- Create voluntary community service clubs to promote environmental conservation, primary health care and good neighborhood practices.
- Quantity and quality of agricultural produce is increased at household & community levels.
- Improved health and livelihoods due to availability of food & proper nutrition.
- Increased food security and incomes as wastage is minimized and excess food is sold in the markets.
- Rudimentary agricultural practices are discarded cost effective practices.
- Farmer groups increasingly aware and better informed on modern ways of farming.
- Forest reserves are sustainably being used for posterity.